Sunday, December 9, 2012

104 - Things that make you go boom

This morning I woke up to the sound of gun fire. At first I thought it might be hunters in the woods behind the RV park, but after the initial shotgun blasts there followed the pop of a handgun, and the rat-a-tat of a machine gun... followed by more booms, pops and machine gun fire. Felt like I was next to a small war zone, an idea that the dark grey plume of smoke rising from the treeline did little to dissuade. Gracie went low to the ground and finally sought refuge under the kitchen table.

So I got up and went about my day... I have a routine... I make the bed... I open all the blinds and windows... I turn off the 'fire' in the fireplace... I turn the gravity feed off and switch back to city water... I empty the tanks... I do dishes... I tidy up... I have a soda. I would be incredibly easy to stalk. And then I fixed a loose blind which made me feel all cool and stuff.

The gun fire happened a couple more times throughout the day, so either there is a gun range nearby, or someone was having a good time in their backyard. Gracie almost lost it when it started up again and the wash cycle hit spin, which shakes the RV. She jumped behind the television after darting from spot to spot with no relief.

Instead of Hallmark Christmas movies I watched SyFy disaster movies all day. It seemed appropriate. Sometimes I just get in a SyFy mood. It's background noise while I do data entry or clean up my iTunes library... which is a neverending task. I am determined to organize it and clear up some hard drive space on my computer. I have a ton of duplicates, sometimes they're different versions of the same song, sometimes they're exactly the same. I have a few that are missing pieces of information like the genre or artist. There are Parton, Dolly and Dolly Parton's to fix. And eventually I need to re-rate them so I can make playlists.

Around 6 pm Mike asked if there was a problem with the truck, would Good Sam cover that, or did he need to call the Allstate Motor Club... that's never good. Apparently a belt slipped or something. Our a/c has been out for a few weeks now, which normally wouldn't be a problem this time of year if the weather was normal, it sometimes does suck with the temperatures being what they are, but we haven't had the time to troubleshoot. I guess that's all related. Anyway, he was trying to come home, and there was a lot of noise and then the power steering and brakes went out, which I imagine made driving extremely challenging. I already know that the warranty company is going to gyp us again and this time we probably won't be able to dispute it because 'technically' it's not an emergency repair. It's like we almost get ahead... and then we fall further behind. I told Mike by the time all this is done, we're going to have a new truck.

As (our) luck would have it, it's Saturday, and all the rental car agencies close early on a Saturday except for the airport locations... which were 73 miles from where he was. The Dodge dealership closed at 6 pm as well. There was a shuttle from the University of Georgia to the airport for $34, but then it would be a three hour trip to the airport and then home - in addition to the time he had to wait for a tow truck (90 mins). Cab fare was going to be around $100, or he could stay in a hotel and go to two of the rental car companies that would open at 11 am on Sunday. I really didn't know what to do. As it stood, he could ride in the tow truck and end up at the dealership... and then...? I called Good Sam's concierge service, which I thought was supposed to help me, but they were worthless. They could give me phone numbers that I could find on the internet. I should be thankful they paid for the tow (out of our membership fee).

So, all that said, I wasn't exactly expecting a diesel truck to pull up next to the trailer and sort of hover there. Sometimes people do drive by, but they typically don't stop like that. When my spidey senses go on alert I tend to make sure that the 9 is at hand. I sort of thought it might be one of Mike's co-workers bringing him home, but I didn't know. Then Mike was at the door and I could relax.

Maybe our luck isn't always bad. The tow truck driver happened to live at this park, so he brought Mike home and said when the truck is ready, he'll pick it up and tow it to the park if we want. Mike said he was a really nice guy. I'm thinking about cooking dinner for his family or something as a thank you, after all, he brought Mike home safely and saved us a lot of stress and money.

There is an Enterprise just down the road from the park. They don't open until Monday at 8 am, but they come to you, so anyway, that means Mike gets a day off... which truth be told, he could use. He hasn't really had one in weeks and he's lucky to get through a meal before he falls asleep. Being stuck here with no transportation sucks, but I do it every day and we have food so... we can watch movies, take a walk around the park, he can play video games and just... relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!