Monday, July 28, 2014

287 - Cream Cheese Frosting Fluff

I wish I could take credit for the creation of this recipe, but I can only take credit for the modification of it.

It is based on a delicious low-carb, high-protein version of ice cream that (I hope) is THM-friendly, because I've been eating it every single night for dessert. And I share it, grudgingly, with my husband... but I really, really want to eat the whole the thing myself.

The original recipe has a lemon and a chocolate-almond version. The chocolate always seems to come out sour, even after I left the almond extract so I can only assume that the bitterness of the chocolate needs something to balance it and I haven't quite figured out what that is. But the lemon version, slightly modified, is heavenly.

So the base I use is pretty much the same:

1 cup of cottage cheese
1/4 cup egg whites
1 Tbsp Vegetable Glycerin
Splash of vanilla extract
3 Tbsp Xylitol + 2 doonks of Stevia (about 1/8 tsp)

Then you add the additional flavorings and blend it up. I have used my Blendtec and a Magic Bullet and both work great. If your blender can handle the cottage cheese-based THM shakes, then it will handle this ice cream batter just fine. After that, transfer the batter to your ice cream maker, or I suppose you could stick it in the freezer but I haven't tried that. My ice cream maker takes between 30-60 minutes to churn it up.



For the Lemon Ice Cream variation, which tastes like Lemon Sherbet, you would add:
2 Tbsp of lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon extract

For the Cream Cheese Frosting Fluff version I made the base and added:
1 Tbsp of Butter-Vanilla emulsion
A capful of McCormick's Rum extract (probably 1/4 tsp)

Blend it all up and taste it. It would probably make an amazing shake at this point, but to turn it into ice cream, I proceeded to the next step and started freezing it. But unlike the lemon version, it didn't freeze. Perhaps because of the emulsion I used instead of an extract? Either way, it's still tasty and I would say it either become a mousse, or a whipped frosting similar to Cool Whip but healthier and better tasting. I assume if I had the patience to put it in the freezer for a few hours it might become similar in texture to Gelato.

A note on the ingredients in case there are questions:

  • I have used 1% and 4% cottage cheese and both work fine, I suppose they're the difference between making it an FP ice cream or an S but someone who is more knowledgeable than me should probably clarify that
  • I use the egg whites in the carton since this is not cooked
  • The vegetable glycerin helps keep the mixture smooth and creamy and adds a bit of extra sweetness. You don't have to use it, I don't know if it's on-plan or not, but it's a low-glycemic sweetener.
  • You can use whichever plan-approved sweetener you wish
  • Specific products I used are in my Bought It-Loved It list on the sidebar because some people want exact brands and where to find them, some don't care.
  • The original author did state that if you keep the (lemon) ice cream in the freezer for more than a couple of hours it becomes a block of ice, but she microwaves it for about 15 seconds and it's fine. Mine has never lasted long enough to test that theory.
I'm going to go enjoy my fluff now, if you try it out let me know how you like it!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!