Friday, August 2, 2013

173 - It Worx, or does it?

The hubs said it wouldn't work, but I wanted to try it anyway. I bought an electric mower. I figure if I'm the one who has to use it, and 85% of the time I'm here by myself, I wanted something virtually maintenance free. And something I could return without worrying about emptying the gas and oil if it turned out to be a dud. Not to mention it was one of the less expensive options out there and the brand got consistently good reviews. My decision had nothing to do with being "green" because if greenies are honest with themselves, most electricity is not green.

The only awkward thing is the cord. I could have gotten a cordless model, but the batteries are high maintenance, you have to charge them every two weeks and only for so long because they don't automatically stop charging, and the battery increased the weight of the mower. I figure as much grass as I have to tackle, weight eventually becomes a factor, especially on hills (which yes, you mow side to side, but I challenge you to pick a side that doesn't slant out here...).

Keep in mind we haven't mowed since we've been here, Mike edged once and even then, the edger wasn't up to the task.

The challenge: The tall, tall grass


The challenger: The Worx electric lawnmower


Starting out it looks like an uneven match, with the grass having a decided advantage. Can The Worx make it past round one? It seems impossible to believe.


The Worx seems to be holding up, and the grass is going DOWN.


The battle is intense, the grass won't give up... The Worx could be outnumbered!


But wait - what looked like a sure thing is suddenly anybody's guess.


Will there be a new champion here tonight?


And The Worx is victorious! The crowd goes wild! Or just Kristy. But not like those girls in the videos.


The sun was hot and the bugs were fierce, I'll go back out tomorrow and finish up the front. I did the driveway side already, or at least the portion I intend to do. After that I'll get to the back of the house and around the RV.

The house can't sell fast enough... we need a riding mower. I don't know what people mean when they compare the sound of it to a vacuum cleaner... sounds like a mower to me. But all in all I am pleasantly surprised by its performance. I was expecting to have to return it and get a gas powered version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!