Sunday, August 25, 2013

187 - Progress

The dehumidifier is pretty great. When I first put it in the basement, the humidity was a whopping 83%. In the first three hours it pulled 65 pints of water from the air. Ever since I connected the hose so that it will run continuously and not fill the bucket (which shuts it off and lets the humidity creep back up) I can tell a definite improvement in both the feel and smell of the air in the basement. The humidity is now around 51-52%.

1,300 sq ft is probably a little much for one dehumidifier, so if we had two it would probably get a little lower, but I think 40% is about where you want to stop pulling the moisture out anyway, so I'm pretty satisfied with its performance. I think organizing the basement has also helped the air flow. I emptied and consolidated at least ten boxes last week, probably more. This may be the first week that the trash guys have no boxes to pick up. Anyway, I feel like we can have things in the basement and they are safe from mildew now. I found a sealant you can spray on the inside of a basement to help with moisture so we are considering that. You apply it with a pressure washer, and we have one of those, but right now it's a matter of getting things we absolutely need and nothing more.

And the plumbers stopped by yesterday. We had a leak and they determined it was the bidet. So it was my fault. I was sitting on the couch kicking myself that my great idea to hopefully save money in the long run, and reduce what ended up in the septic tank, was going to end up costing us more money. And then they surprised me. I asked how much I owed and they said nothing, that they might have loosened the connector when they changed out the pipe. I doubt that's true, but I appreciate it.

So the yard is completely mowed, the humidity seems to be under control, and there are no more leaks in the basement. If nothing else, that is at least an improvement. Other than that I cleared a little of the clutter out of our junk room and cleaned a little. Not a very exciting day and no pictures. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!