Friday, June 29, 2012

0033 - Rotisserie Chicken

I know how rotisserie chicken feels when it's on that spit, turning and baking. The back of my right calf felt just like that as we worked out in the 104 degree heat again this afternoon. We (mostly Mike again) got the rest of the building moved into place and it's done now. I wore more sensible clothes this time... sneakers instead of crocs... a short-sleeved shirt instead of a tank top... with my big floppy hat that inexplicably makes my hair smell like chocolate.

Since we didn't do much today I'll regale you with information about RV's.

My friend Rob suggested something concerning our RV that I didn't understand at the time. He said it was going to sound weird, and it did... he said he got a clear hose to drain the black water tank, that it's good to be able to see when you're done. I got his point, but the ick factor, and the fact that we had already purchased a red shitter hose meant that I kept it in the back of my mind for future reference but didn't act on it.

Then came the day that we started to drain our own tanks. It was still nice not to have to see what was coming out, but at the same time, Rob's point became clearer. Instead of a new hose Mike found a fitting that went between the attachment and the hose, and it was clear with a spot for a water hose to screw into when you want to flush the tank out.

Aside from being able to tell when it's done draining, it helped us in an entirely different way. They had mislabeled our tanks down below where you pull the levers to open the valve that empties the tanks. Seeing what came out, we realized that when we thought we were draining the black tank, we were actually draining the bath water and washer/dryer tank. The black water valve was labeled as the bath tank and vice versa, but the galley tank was correct. So we relabled them. If you don't own an RV you probably don't understand the importance.

First off, there is a meter in our control panel that shows us the levels of all the tanks. The bath tank gets full quick because that's also where the water from the washer/dryer goes. I figured out something was wrong when that was full, there was water standing in the shower, but I swore I drained the tank.

Secondly, and most important, you always empty the black tank first, so that all of the nastiness goes out the hose and then it is followed by the "grey water" which is cleaner... the  grey water is bath and kitchen water with no human waste in it. This cleans your shitter hose a bit and I think it also helps create a vacuum that completely flushes the black tank.

Tonight I made chili cheese fries for dinner, or maybe it's fair to say I threw them together since I didn't cut the potatoes or make the chili. I grated the cheese and mixed some garlic salt into the sour cream if that impresses you. :) They were delicious. Then we had strawberry shortcake for dessert and I used cinnamon sugar to macerate the berries. Now we're watching a Tom Selleck movie, he did several based on Louis L'Amour and we bought a 3-pack. We love Tom. It's an odd paradox for me... he's incredibly good looking, but I don't drool. When I see him in a love scene it doesn't seem right to me. Weird, huh?

We went to a different grocery store this afternoon on our way back from Mark's. In some ways I liked it better, in other ways Foodtown has the advantage. Neither of them has jalapenos or leafy lettuce... that's okay, I have my AeroGrow on the job. I'll have arugula, red leaf lettuce, jalapenos, black krim tomatoes, rosemary, basil and... I have forgotten the seventh thing I planted... it'll be a surprise I guess. Can't wait to have my own produce at hand. I'll transplant the rosemary, it gets big, the rest I guess will stay where it is. This is my first time, I'll play it by ear.

Oh, and feel free to comment, that's what makes a blog worth writing. It helps keep people up to date all at once, but interaction is what makes a blogger happy. I miss my 'tribe', only a couple remain from my original blog. Most of the people who read this know either Mike or I... it's kind of lonely out here even though there are nice people around I miss familiar faces.

Oh, and I added some Amazon stuff to the sidebar. They pay referral fees if people come to them through this blog, every little bit helps.

4 comments:

  1. And so the fun begins!! :)

    Things sound like you are starting to "settle" into things... that's good. :)

    Pretty soon you'll have an awesome salad! LOL Just missing some strawberries, blueberries, and/oranges to toss in like Panera Bread!! ;)

    Take pics!! Love ya! TGSB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy....you and Mike sound like you've got it made!! Oh how I wish I could pack up some stuff on the Harley and take a year off!! Get on the Harley and ride!! But...alas...life calls and I must heed!! Looking forward to seeing you guys sometime this summer if your up Clarksville way!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy - I rarely put fruit in my salad. There are some good ones out there, I just never make it that way. I miss a good salad, all the ones out here are iceberg lettuce, tomato and cucumber... maybe some cheese. Nothing exciting. Oh, and spinach... that's the seventh seed I planted. I keep fogetting spinach.

    Ms. A - We keep forgetting to put the camera in the truck. We drive around a lot and see all kinds of things that make us ooh and aah and I intended to cram a bunch of pics into the blog... I've been slacking. :(

    Renegade - A year off if you plan it that way is cool... we didn't exactly plan to take more than a month off. Mike is missing his bikes about now... all the twisting roads all around here are killing him, hahaha. Will be nice to finally meet you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!