Thursday, July 5, 2012

0037 - Mrs. Todd's Shortcut(s)

All the little side roads we're taking lately remind me of the Stephen King tale "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut." In that story, the main character keeps taking more and more obscure shortcuts to get where she's going, and along the way begins to encounter strange creatures and phenomenon. Strangely, if I recall correctly, her shortcuts keep getting longer and longer. I used to joke that my mother was Mrs. Todd, because she would pretty much take any road she could find, no matter how out of the way, just to avoid the main road and traffic. The older I get, the more I understand her aversion to traffic. I love that out here, we rarely pass another car (and thankfully on little roads like that, we have yet to meet up with another vehicle... I shudder to think how that might go down).

This afternoon we started out on pavement and ended up on gravel. I am waiting for the day when the gravel peters out and there is just a field, or a cliff in front of us and Mike has to back down the road until there is a space wide enough to turn around in. It was gorgeous though, rocky cliffs with horizontal striations, trees with sunlight sprinkled in, hollers. Our favorite thing to find is a little zig zag cut down the side of a mountain where a waterfall would be if it rained. We found two.

By the way it did rain today. About 27 drops of water hit our windshield on the way back to the RV park.

Guessing I'll make quiche tonight. I need one more egg to make that happen, but Ron has that covered, he has chickens at his house so he just brings in some of the eggs and sells them for a quarter each at his little store. It's hard for me to think ahead so I kind of grab what's on hand and I've been lucky to be able to make dinner from that. My other problem is that some things I would normally buy aren't available around here. Tomorrow we're heading into Cookeville to see a few houses, and we'll be able to stop by a larger grocery store to see what they have.

That's about all I've got going on at the moment. Today is Thursday... I think. Time is losing its meaning. That's good and bad. The hilight of my day is checking the mail...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!