Saturday, July 7, 2012

0039 - The big day

Yesterday we drove around and looked at more houses. There was one absolutely gorgeous home overlooking the water, but once again, the roads leading up to it were pretty janky, and I'm not sure we'd have room for everything (cars, building). It's 1.82 acres, but I'm not sure all of that is usable. That said, it's not completely out of the running, but I think it would be a stretch to make it work. Makes me sad because that would be an amazing place to come home to... the water was so blue... there were trees...

We did see one that we're going to pursue further. It's near Cookeville, off of a two lane road - with stripes and everything(!), but it's secluded. They cut out a homesite but left the trees surrounding it so that you can't see the home from the road at all. The home itself is nice in the photos, but we know how that can be... been there enough times to know about creative photography. Still, we're hopeful.

Tried another Mexican restaurant... we're nothing if not determined. It was okay. The two best things about it were that 1) it reminded us of a place we ate lunch in Houston with our friend Bob, so the memory was nice and 2) there was a grocery store attached and they had tomatillos and corn tortillas and cilantro. Sounds unremarkable, but the local stores don't carry those things and I've been craving green sauce and chili pie (not at the same tiem). The food itself was passable, not my favorite but definitely not the worst I've had.

Also, along the way we ran across an Amish market... RIPE TOMATOES - I was soooo there. Got lots of 'maters, red ones, gold ones, green ones... even a Cherokee Purple to try out. *squee* They had peaches that were being swarmed by honey bees, I reached in and got a basket anyway. Honeybees are our friends. They had huge juicy blackberries, cherries, and... CHEESE. We got pepper jack, horseradish cheddar and hoop cheese. And butter. And homemade noodles. I admit... I went a little crazy. There was real food. Pretty colors. I miss vegetables, we eat out so much, and it's mostly a bunch of fried shit... even the veggies are devoid of color because they're cooked to death. I keep wanting to get a salad, but it's all iceberg lettuce and that's pointless...

The mail is starting to come regularly. Nothing exciting, but hey, it's something to do. So we checked it on our way through town.

Then we went to Walmart to get Mike's haircut. This lady did a good job... the other one half-assed it but this one made him look like Mike again. Mike got a couple of games, I got a couple of movies. This Means War was funny. Gonna watch the Julia Roberts-Snow White movie later. After Walmart, it was on to the chinese buffet... unremarkable... typical. Worst crab rangoon I've ever had, but the cabbage was tasty.

I made the green sauce last night before I forgot about it and let everything rot. The BlendTec is amazing... even without the sour cream, the sauce was so creamy. Oh - the avocados we got from the little farm are hands down the best avocados I have ever had. They were huge and creamy and perfectly ripe. So that's what I'm going to have for lunch... tortilla chips and green sauce with a peach and some cherries for dessert.

Mike keeps talking about Nashville, so I guess we're heading there today FML... I'm tired of being in the truck...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are having an adventure in TN. You will like Nashville. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will, it's just all the riding around we've done... I need a day to be stationary. Once I get going I'm fine... but sitting here thinking about it, I just want to keep sitting here thinking about it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!