Thursday, July 26, 2012

0054 - RV parks are like bathrooms

You're probably wondering how the hell the two could possibly be similar... allow me to explain...

Say you go into a bathroom. There are five stalls. Usually you skip a stall, sometimes you get as far away from the occupied stall as you can. In no case, except all other stalls being out of working order, would you choose the stall right next to the occupied stall. People want space. They like privacy.

This park is EMPTY. In Florida, RV parks don't fill up until September... snowbirds, you know. Imagine my chagrin when I woke up to find a Class A parked right next to us... Not in the empty field-o-poles I've been told is far superior to our location, but RIGHT NEXT TO US. I want them to go away.

If the park were full it would be a different story... but it's not. I feel like my privacy is being invaded. I like to open the shades all the way if I can, but not if someone is next to me... so now I have to leave the day shades down. Not my favorite thing. There was another RV here when we pulled up, but at least we put a space in between us... tried to put two but it wasn't level enough.

Anyway...

Yesterday I accomplished a lot. I spent most of the day on the phone... with the insurance company, with the RV manufacturer, with the repair facility, and with the timeshare. Today I worked. Money is not stellar, but it kept me occupied. That, coupled with the fact that they didn't run the siren this morning (which allowed me to sleep in) meant my day went rather quickly. I wake up to say goodbye to Mike, but then I go back to sleep.

It's not that way for Mike... Mike gets up around 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning so he can get to the worksite, and he doesn't come home until 5:00 or 6:00 in the evening. His arms are maroon. His muscles are sore. I pamper him as much as I can... dinner is ready when he gets home, I try to let him stay off his feet. The first day was bad, he got dehydrated and came home a bit early, the last two days he's fared better. He's just really, really uncomfortable. I've been trying to pack snacks for him, and we got water and sports drinks last night to keep him hydrated and keep his electrolytes up. I'm trying to make dinner more healthy too. Tonight was pasta salad (something cool since he's been in the sun all day), a salad of tomatoes, kalamata olives and basil, some hoppin' john (delicious), avocado, and roasted broccoli.

Daytime television still sucks... but today I did transcription work so I didn't have the volume up since I need to hear. Supposedly they have cable here, but I haven't been able to tune it in. Tomorrow I might pull the satellite out, I dunno... we're only here for a few more days. But I want to see Walking Dead... new season is on now right? I don't even know anymore. I also need to get out and walk around again. I get intimidated by the fact that this place is a small city, and even though it seems empty, there are people roaming around doing maintenance. I don't like going out by myself. Plus, the last couple of times I've had to go to the office, I've gotten caught in the rain.

So... I guess that's kind of it for the day. Here are some pics I took yesterday.

Pretty Airstream. This park was actually founded by Airstream owners so there are quite a few around here. The guy at the front desk gave me a 64-page manifesto on the history of the park, and initially I chuckled to myself... but... I skimmed through it, and it's actually an interesting story. Guy envisioned the park, asked for investors from his Airstream club, bought a farm and started converting it. Now it's like a miniature city - I kid you not - they have their own voting precinct. Not to mention the fire station.


This is pretty awesome, an Airstream next to a park trailer so you have the best of both worlds.



Awesome truck that makes Mike drool. Hell, I like it, too.


Bane of my existence...


They have their own golf course, too... and this is on the fringes of it. I just thought it was pretty. And the other day I was eyeing it as potential cover if the rain started in earnest.  Florida has lots of random swampy areas, so last night as we went to the grocery store I thought we were passing some of those, Mike said it was just flooded fields from all the rain. You can see a little of that on the sidewalk. There's a little creek that runs under a bridge and it was going pretty fast. It didn't rain today so maybe it'll dry up a little.


If we could put this on our property, we'd be golden.


This tree is HUGE. You can't tell from the photo, but it is HUGE. I would guess the trunk is about five or six feet across.


Well hello there Mr. Lizard.


Story of our life.



2 comments:

  1. I would love to own an Airstream! I would decorate it all up (think cowgirl style ya'll!) and drive all around the country. I would stop at every cheesy tourist attraction (think giant ball of twine, biggest frying pan, etc) and stop at every souvenir/novelty shop. Plus, I would hit EVERY Stuckey's just because it's nostalgia in a pecan log. That is my dream...sadly it is not hubby's dream so I doubt it will ever happen :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come with me - we could be Thelma and Louise! :) I want to see the cheesy sites too! Mike isn't overly enthusiastic about that, but he's a trooper and if I *really* wanted to do something, he'd suck it up, hahaha. At some point if we're in the area I'm hoping to see some of that stuff, but until we get some time off where we're not trying to get something done (job, housing, etc.), we haven't really been taking just a roadtrip. Someday...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!