Sunday, August 26, 2012

0073 - Charleston

After less than a week at the broke down cabin in Florida, we decided to hit the road to see family while we have a little free time. First stop was about eight hours away, just north of Charleston to see my Aunt Madeleine, Uncle Robert, Cousin David, his wife Andrea, and their two kids. We had a great time. Their house is amazing - spacious, but cozy and warm. My Aunt is a wonderful cook, she kept us well fed, and the kids kept us entertained.

As we headed into Charleston it was rainy, but this is the last time we saw rain. Did you hear the angels singing just then? Oh gracious... I have missed the sun.


We decided to visit The Citadel. I went last time I was in Charleston, but Mike and my uncle hadn't seen it. It was a beautiful day, not hot, not cold and NOT HUMID. There went those angels again.


My aunt and I took a peek inside the chapel, she thought this stained glass window was gorgeous.


The main campus of The Citadel and their parade ground (and water tower).


Mr. Squirrel being rude and eating in front of us without offering to share. Military squirrels - what can you do?


Bet you didn't know Hagrid went to The Citadel. Okay... so that's a lame joke. I'm tired. Sue me.


Cadet humor.


Umbrellas on the rooftop bar.


Chipmunk cheeks! Haley is so adorable. Andrea + David = Super adorable children with lots of personality. (probably has something to do with David's hyperactivity as a child)


The view from the restaurant.


Brooke has so much personality. Every picture really does tell a thousand tales.







My husband's pinup shot. That is a tiller in his hands in case you're wondering... this is not Playgirl. ;) He just looked so relaxed and happy doing his thing on the boat. He used to race in Clear Lake and has missed being on the water. I just love boats.


Saw a few pelicans flying by and finally caught one that I could get a picture of.


I got to help with the sails while Mike steered us into the wind. It was a lot of work sometimes, but it was fun. I like sailing.


After sailing I was burnt to a crisp, and everyone else got a little toasty too. Yes, I used sunscreen. I think I'm immune. So afterward we went back to the house to relax and grill some steak and shrimp. Aunt Madeleine made the most delicious dessert quesadillas (and margaritas).

This morning we set out for Augusta, Georgia to visit my Aunt Rose. It was nice to take a short trip for a change, only three hours. Gracie also didn't freak out this time... it was nice. Rose made a nice dinner and now we're just relaxing and doing laundry... I'm sleepy.

Rose always has a gorgeous yard and several bird feeders, so we caught some pics of hummingbirds, but it was getting dark so it was harder to get a good shot. Maybe tomorrow we'll do a little better.



Think Mike took this one in Winter Haven, Florida. It was a cute little town.



We're here in Augusta for a couple of days, then we're moving on to Amory, MS before heading to Shreveport, LA for a family reunion. After that we're going to go to Beaumont and Houston if we have time, before heading back to retrieve the RV in Tampa. Thinking we are going to stop at Gulf Shores on the way to Tampa but don't really know. If you're in any of those areas, let us know and we'll try to do dinner or something.

Mike took this picture of the moon and said, "It's cool... the moon is at half phase for Neil Armstrong tonight." RIP Mr. Armstrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!