Sunday, July 8, 2012

0040 - Nashville

So... we ventured into Nashville yesterday.

First we went to Camping World to get supplies for the RV. Mostly a surge protector, but I'm more excited about the mini-grill we purchased... just a standard portable Weber charcoal grill. We also ogled other neat stuff, like a zero gravity chair and this contraption that was kind of tempting...

It grills... it's a griddle... it's a deep fryer. It also looks like an alien spaceship.

Then we had lunch. More noteworthy than lunch itself, which was good, was the Backwoods Tea we had that was made with Popcorn Sutton's XXX Moonshine. I've always thought moonshine was harsh... something you'd use to strip paint off something metallic, but for some reason, people drank it... best I could figure is out of desperation. I'd only sniffed a jar that someone brought to one of my parties and it made my eyes water. This stuff was really, really good, more like lemonade with a kick, and the moonshine was smooth. When we stopped by the liquor store to get a bottle of wine for later, I also grabbed a jar of XXX -- for special occasions, not for every day... Popcorn isn't with us anymore so when it's gone it's gone... Not really, he had an apprentice, but still...



Then we went to our friend Steve's house for a bit. I really miss wolfdogs, didn't realize how much until I saw them, so I made a beeline for the pens the moment I stepped out of the truck.

It's interesting how small the world can be sometimes. There was a volunteer at St. Francis who has wolfdogs of her own and fosters on a pretty regular basis. A couple of years ago she placed one of her fosters with Steve. Last time we came out, he was pretty shy and wouldn't approach the fence, while his penmate was very friendly. This time he was much more social and came to the fence several times. Change like that makes me smile.

Then there is the high content that would never approach you if you were looking at him. As soon as you walked away he would come smell the fence where you were. He is very curious, but very skittish. This time I got him to come sniff my hand a few times and even got to pet him a little bit. He's sooooo beautiful and gentle. I love wolfy eyes staring into mine.


You can read more about Steve's rescue here: Sojourn Wolfpack. If you're at work, there will be music when the page loads, so either mute it, or go to the bottom of the page and pause it. There's also a place for donations if you're so inclined. His woofers have it good, but I know it takes money to take care of twelve woofers and Ringo.

Don't know what the plans are for today... I'm ready to take it easy for a day. I'm sure I'll get stircrazy at some point, but I slept in so my day has just begun. Ah Sunday...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!