Sunday, August 4, 2013

175 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

For the crickets, that is.

Since you never know when it might rain, I decided to go ahead and finish mowing the front yard yesterday, finishing up just as it got dark. As evening started to fall I thought about calling it a day but there was just a little left and I couldn't leave it.

I posted on Facebook that the lawn was cut and the crickets sounded pissed... they seemed especially loud last night. My aunt Brenda said cutting the lawn made it easier for the birds to find them, and sure enough, this morning there is an army of birds marching across the lawn. Not sure what kind of bird, they're cute though. Plump little brown things with blue in their wings and tails when they fly.

So this is what our yard looks like under all that grass. I even mowed the culvert. I need to go out and collect the rocks that have found their way into the culvert, the mower glided over most of them, but a couple got skimmed by the blades and sparks flew. They're big enough rocks that they won't become flying debris, they just have the potential to damage the blades.


The side of the yard by the ginormous magnolia tree. We were going to prune it, take the limbs up about 5-10 feet, but I was just reading about pruning magnolias and the article said not to prune mature trees because it can damage them. So now I'm thinking we should leave it alone. It's a place where the rabbits live anyway, so maybe we should just leave it.


Just another shot of the lawn. It was a lot of work, I wanted to document it. :)


This little guy cracked me up. He must have been curious to see if there were any crickets in the house. I was afraid to move lest I scare him away, so the curtain kind of blocked the shot a bit but you can still make out his head cocked to the side in that unique bird-like way.


One of my cricket soldiers taking a break on the balcony. You can see that he eats well.




And I found butterflies on the grill. I finally read up on it, and butterflies usually rest with their wings up like this guy, whereas moths wings typically fold flat against their bodies. Butterflies are also usually more active during the day whereas moths are active at night. SO, that means those are most likely butterflies at the creek, not moths. Somehow we have moths in the house... I guess I need to invest in some cedar for the closet. Maybe they find their way in when I open and close the door, or through small spaces between the screen and the window frame... however they do it, they drive Gracie mad.



A larger bird with a brown breast.



It will be interesting to see if the cacophony of crickets is somewhat diminished tonight. So I guess I'm gonna go grab some rocks, maybe even make my way back to the creek. It's been a few days, things may have changed, hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!