Sunday, January 5, 2014

232 - The Squall

Well, here we are, smack in the middle of a twenty year freak cold snap. Bo is in his sweater, afraid of the ice falling from the sky so he wants to go potty but prefers not to leave the house unless I go first. To clarify - I go out of the house first, I do not go potty outside, first or otherwise. Not at home anyway.

The thing is... weathermen are wrong about 50% of the time or more. Why do these Nashville weatherpeople have to be such overachievers? I was hoping that, in the same manner that the predicted snow fall decrease by an inch since yesterday (1-2" instead of 3"), the temperatures would rise a bit... but noooooooooo... Here's what they look like so far:



There are lots of single digits on that page, and if you scooch over a column and add windchill there are some negative numbers - and no one likes negativity! It's bad! If I wanted to live like this I would have moved to South Dakota.

So I will be wearing lay-ers, a hat... if I can find one of the four pair of gloves I own, and my rain boots when I take Bo out. I doubt he'll linger so it'll probably take me more time to put everything on than for him to do his business. I wonder if his pee will freeze midstream. That could be a problem...

Anyway, to reiterate... Bo...


is afraid of that ^.

Doesn't like it.

Not a bit.

As for me, I went to the store on Sunday and stocked up on supplies to keep me busy baking through the frigid norther. I figure it keeps me busy and keeps the kitchen nice and warm. As for the pipes. I wrapped them. Probably wrapped the wrong ones, but I wrapped something. I remembered Mike saying that pex doesn't burst, so I wrapped the pvc, but then he pointed out that the sewer pipe doesn't have standing water in it, and therefore won't freeze. So... yeah. I covered a couple of the windows, I did what I could, I may go down there tomorrow and rethink things. I wasn't expecting quite such a prolonged period of stupid cold.

I don't have to leave the house except to take Bo out, so I don't have to be concerned about road conditions. I am sure the emergency radio will be going off quite often because it always seems that after a torrential rainstorm, snow or icy conditions, someone has had an accident somewhere. Or a tree fell down. Hopefully my prediction doesn't come true, because I hate to think of anyone else having to be out when it's like this. Especially a volunteer. They've closed the schools tomorrow and I'll be surprised if I get mail... if I do I may or may not go to the box to check it! Anyway, life is an adventure right? Right.

2 comments:

  1. It's going to be pretty darn cold here and the wind is being a beast. However, our forecast doesn't include snow... and I'd have to shoot a weather forecaster if it did happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow's not so bad, we probably ended up with an inch or so... but it's REALLY COLD OUT THERE :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!