Tuesday, July 31, 2012

0059 - TBD

This morning I got up at 7:30. I didn't really want to, but I was awake and wasn't groggy so I decided I could always take a nap if I got sleepy later. I always say I'll take a nap and it never happens... So I got up and started working.

In the background I watched About Face: Supermodels Then and Now. I admit I was fascinated by models when I was younger. I bought a book put out by the Ford Modeling Agency and read it from cover to cover... how to apply makeup, what to eat, a day in the life, etc. As I got older I lost interest in models and celebrities... I don't know them personally so they mean little to me beyond the entertainment value they provide. I hate the paparazzi that feeds on them, but that's a different soapbox altogether. The film turned out to be rather engaging. I didn't recognize all of the models, and I felt some iconic models were missing, but I was impressed by some of the interviews. Isabella Rossellini, in particular, she has so much wisdom and everything she says, the way she says it is fascinating. I also found the modern day Paulina Porizkova to be highly intelligent and level-headed. So yeah... I ran out of movies that interested me and have moved on to documentaries... and now mini-series.

I also watched Friends with Kids. I thought it was going to be a comedy. It was more of a drama. It was okay... A lot of the same cast from Bridesmaids, which I thought was hilarious. So yeah...

Then I actually did take a nap. I don't know if I had a fever or not, because the inside rims of my eyes were burning and that's usually one of the signs. I was also getting warm at the same temperature I'm usually comfortable. I slept for about three hours. Then I got up and finally took out the trash and made the bed. About that time Mike called to let me know he was on his way home so I started cooking. Now it's 11:30 and I'm still not quite ready for bed. Vicious cycle that.

When Mike got home we had dinner (black beans and rice from a packet, Vigo brand... with a little Slap Yo Mama! and some Tapatio it's tasty) and watched Act of Valor. Mike has been wanting to see it for a long time now and I happened to notice it when we were at Walmart last night so we grabbed a copy. Had no idea what to expect, just that it was a military movie. Those movies are bittersweet to me as it's hard to think of them solely as entertainment... in some ways they are very stressful. This one was based on true events, and starred some real life Seals. The fact that Mike has been around that kind of thing in real life makes it hard for me to stay objective. I tend to insert myself into the plot line anyway, but movies like this especially feel personal to me, because when the wife is saying goodbye to her husband I can relate to what she feels firsthand. It was a very good film, very action packed, lots of amazing insight into the Seals who are very impressive... just makes you go 'wow', and of course, it's sad as well. At the end there is a roll call of soldiers to remember and Mike was pointing out some who served with Marcus Lutrell, and he mentioned that Marcus' dog Dasy was named in remembrance of four of Marcus' fellow soldiers, a letter from each of their last names.

Nothing big happened today, just lots of typing, lots of movies... Yee. Haw. Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!