Sunday, July 21, 2013

161 - Exercises in Frugality

So this is basically what I've done in the past couple of weeks:

I've read several blogs that claim you can regrow celery by keeping the base and soaking it in water. Apparently there is some merit to that, this is day 5. I use celery quite a bit (stems and leaves), so I figure this is a money saver.


Same with green onions. This happens amazingly quickly. I think the long one on the right has been in the water for about 3-4 days.


Found a basil starter pod kit at Dollar Genearl for $1.50. So if all ten pods work out, I'll have a nice little basil garden going. Just started them today, so we'll see.


This wasn't supposed to be a plant per se, I thought I was buying a hydroponic bag of basil but when I got home there was a small pot inside. I have managed to keep it alive for a few weeks now but I figure it will have to be transplanted if I want it to thrive.


White peaches going into the freezer and cherries ready to be pitted and frozen in the pan.


Ready to go into the freezer. After a few hours I'll put them into a baggie. This morning I used some I'd frozen earlier, it's a real time saver, and since they were on sale a money saver, too.


So that's part of my money saving strategy. We also used our Sam's Club membership to buy meat and cheese. I came home and wrapped it all in individual servings. We use water from the fridge instead of buying bottled water now. I'm cutting back on soda. Really trying to keep our costs low and be more mindful of our food so that we don't waste anything. Not to mention eating healthier. Except for the day we went canoeing, and the next day when we took the truck to KY and decided to take advantage of the Chuy's there, I've made all of our meals.

Rearranged some furniture yesterday. Still not *there* yet, but it feels better. My goal is to have the boxes unpacked by the end of the week and find places to put things so there's not so much clutter. I moved the armoire into the mancave to use as a pantry since we don't have one. That's helped a lot, the cabinets are not so crowded now and I can find what I'm looking for. The back bedroom and the bathroom are pretty much how I want them. Kitchen is getting close. The mancave needs the finishing touches but Mike seems to have it how he wants it... it's just the living room, dining room, and the front bedroom that need some work.

So I'm going to try to relax today (too late for that already) and hit it hard tomorrow. I've been getting up between 6:30-9:30 am lately. The night shades in the RV were the problem... the sun doesn't shine in and wake me up, but here that's not a problem. I'm not a morning person per se, but when I'm up, I'm up, so it's not so bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!