Wednesday, July 24, 2013

165 - Homey

So today, you guessed it, another trek to the creek. My life is nothing if not spontaneous and exciting - you just never know what time I might take that walk. I like to switch it up and keep it interesting...

I wish I could get better pics but if I get too close, they fly away and I get bupkis. So here we have... another bird on a fence post. A red one this time, in case you're color blind.


Ah those lazy summer days... Gracie has found a new perch. She likes the back of the couch and her step stool by the window. Last night she cautiously watched the cows graze across the road but most of the time she watches birds and bunnies and bugs. It will be interesting to see what she does when we get a dog. Especially if we get a Great Dane. But... baby steps, we're still looking.


Flowers and a tiny bee-like insect that I didn't want to kill. It's just bumblebees and wasps that I hate.


Bunny!!! I was probably about 10 yards from him and I kept creeping closer and he stood stock still... until a rock crunched underfoot... then he was off to the races.


This is "our" bunny. I call him ours because he lives under our magnolia tree


Today's haul.


You guessed it.

Almost died.

Today's gravel status.


Dandelion babies.


Our apple crop. Somewhat small and deformed, but I think when I can trim the tree and start supplementing whatever nutrients it's lacking, the tree will get healthier. I have to do some research but I am determined to have apples. Baby Boom is one of my favorite movies and I WILL have homemade applesauce! Yeee-ehp.


So my grill came today. In pieces. Loooooots of pieces.

I had me a project.


And I got an A-. Got it all together, there is one screw I need Mike to tackle, and I overtightened a nut, which broke the handle for the ash receptacle. It's not a catastrophe, but it kinda sucks that it happened... it's new ya know. It has a temperature gauge on one side of the lid and a vent on the other. And wheels on the back so I can push it around the balcony to amuse myself.


A pizza stone was included. Oh yes. I'm fancy-schmancy now. And there is a grip for the included charcoal chimney. I already love this grill. Maybe tomorrow I'll actually grill something.


So sad... the handle is not supposed to hang like that. :( Regardless, it's shaping up to the coolest grill EVER.


So after that, I made the trek to town. I needed produce. And I decided I was going to grow some of it myself.

This is not the produce, but when I was on the cusp of the garden section I saw these fellas. They were on clearance for $1.38 each. Little orphan plants that needed a home. And I think plants make a house feel cozy, so I put them in the cart.


And I bought herbs. I figure instead of paying for those little plastic boxes of them, I can snip what I need, and more will grow. More efficient, and pretty.


Kept the bottoms of the green and red leaf lettuce and put the root ends in water. We'll see if it works. Going on the same premise as the celery and green onions, I will change out the water every couple of days, and make sure it doesn't dry out. Fingers crossed.


Flat leaf parsley. It's a little droopy at the moment, but I think a day in the sun will perk it up. It's been in the produce section for a while and will need to adjust.


Ditto for the cilantro. Cilantro is so pretty.


Purple basil. Gosh it's purdy. And it smells so good.


Basil babies! The mini-greenhouse seems to be working. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to transplant them to before they get to that point.


Lemon Thyme and Mr. Stripey tomatoes. My lady statue's base got broken during the move, one of the few things that seem to have been damaged, and I was going to throw her away... but I couldn't bring myself to do it, so she's a garden decoration now.

I'm not a hoarder, I'm not! I repurpose!


I need more potting soil, but this is another variety of tomato, and yellow bell pepper. I think I'll also start some lettuce, arugula, water cress and mache seeds. Arugula is hands down my favorite, but mache is a close second. They use it as a garnish in Ireland and I love the flavor, in fact, I can eat it on its own.


Me and my shadow. She's like a head rest that purrs.


So that's that. It's 7:30 and I've been awake since 7:30. I thought about a second trek to the creek, but I'm not feelin' it. Maybe tomorrow.

P.S. Whatcha doin' mister?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!