Sunday, July 21, 2013

162 - The house

It's not perfect by any means, but I'm sure some of you are curious. All 9 of you. :)

Bathroom. Found the shower curtain at Dollar General. They have a decent selection of home decor at the one three mins from the house, which is great because it's inexpensive and Walmart is the only other option I have except to surf the web. I recycled the curtain from previous homes but it's pinned up so it doesn't interfere with the toilet paper roll. I may get around to hemming it at some point. Or not.


So... we need a mirror. I probably have some. In storage. In Austin. So we're making do with this one for the time being. We installed shelves under the sconces, DG again, and will eventually replace the sconces with something bronze-y. May try to spray paint them in the meantime just so they match better until we can replace them. But all in all, the shelves add a little character and help to keep the counter relatively clutter-free.


The kitchen, where I spend a lot of my time. I was determined to get another French door refrigerator until we stayed with my sister-in-law and then I decided a side-by-side was probably the better choice. We opted for an external ice maker and a tall dispenser, which I've already declared a good decision. I can put a pitcher under it. Very handy.


Kitchen is about the same size as our last kitchen but the layout is better. I think there is more cabinet space and it certainly seems like there is more counterspace. Still, I've had to get creative because it's still fairly small, so I ordered a couple of over the sink shelves and am using those to put spices on and it gives me space underneath for other items. I love my stove. It has a griddle, which we love, or I can use it as a fifth burner. I used to cook on electric stovetops, but in the RV we had gas and I fell in love with the ability to control the flame. I. Love. My. Stove.


Always wanted a window over the sink. So this is my view. We have plans for that, too... get rid of some brush, eventually pour a concrete or asphalt driveway, maybe even add a water feature.


The living room view with the windows open. It's a nice day today. It rained last night and part of the morning so it is nice and cool out. I'm listening to birds, crickets and cows. I love the country.


Living room. We changed the layout yesterday. It was too cluttered. It still needs work, but at least there's room to breathe. Mike hung the ceiling fan and it helps cool the room off. We brought our tv bracket with us, so we didn't have to waste money buying a new one. The curtains are from DG, everything else came with us.


My bookshelves are a lot smaller here... I have way more books to find a home for, and yeah this arrangement is in its formative stages. Under that second shelf is a blank wall/cubby. If we put the a/c in the attic, that's where the return will go, if it goes into the basement (which is looking more and more likely), I don't think we need a return and I will be able to put something in the cubby. Don't laugh, we need all the extra space we can muster.


This is going to be the guest room but it's our room at the moment. A) Because the bed we'll be using is currently in storage. B) Because we have no a/c and this is one of the few windows we can put a window unit in. It's a lot bigger than I expected it to be. We also have a vanity and a small table in there and there is plenty of room.


Mancave with a view to the balcony.


Balcony view.


The attic access we had installed when we thought we were putting the a/c up there. In any case it's nice to be able to use it rather than the small square in the bathroom closet we had. If we need to. For whatever reason.


The RV at the front of the property near the road. We thought that was fairly level. We were wrong. There's no place level out here except for the house itself. So eventually the RV will go toward the back of the property and Mike and Jason will level a spot and pour a pad for it. And after that, at some point, we will have utilities run to it so we can use it as a guest house.


Looking out from the front the house. That's our mailbox across the road, and you can see our neighbor's house. That pic is for mom, they're within walking distance. :)


All in all, Mike and I have realized that we have more conveniences closer to the house here than we did in LC. There is a lumber store about 3 mins away. Dollar General is 4 mins away. There is a small grocery store with basics about 5 mins away. The bank and the post office are about 8 mins away. There are restaurants but we won't talk about them.... And LaFayette is about 20 mins away, that's where Walmart is, which is where we will end up doing most of our shopping. Good restaurants are about 45 mins away, but fast food is available in LaFayette if I just have to. There are some co-ops and a Tractor Supply, a big equipment rental place... it's rural, but it's not out in the boonies, and yet, we don't feel crowded. Except by that damned trailer... but we eventually hope to own that acre too, and then we can deal with the trailer.

So there you have it. Our new house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!