Monday, July 22, 2013

163 - The hills are alive with the sound of...

...birds and insects and bunnies bolting from their hiding places. And today, crows. Or something black and feathery that makes a harsh cawwing sound and seems to have taken up residence in one of our trees.

I can't wait to get a bird bath and some houses/feeders to attract birds. It will drive Gracie bonkers, but it's fun to watch (them and her). And there is this gorgeous bird... it's iridescent blue with purple when the light hits it. I would swear it was a hummingbird except it lands on things and is about three times bigger, but the wings are a blur when it's flying. It's the most beautiful thing. And I want it in my yard. Wouldn't mind a hawk or two either, just because Mike gets so excited.

I also think we have a woodpecker. Hard to tell. It's either that or a flying chicken. Look for the red and use your imagination. It's what I do.



So yesterday, after I ate this for dinner:


...which is actually healthier than it looks because it's oven baked with hardly any oil... by the way it tastes so, so good (if you love buffalo sauce, which, it so happens, I do)... I felt a little guilty. So I walked here:


Which is our creek. It's a wet weather creek, meaning when it rains, there is water in it, if it doesn't rain, it's a large gravel pit. You would be surprised how many people cross this creek and the vehicles they cross it in. I personally don't plan to make the attempt because the gravel is like quick sand for your tires, but hey - more power to those brave few. Haven't had anyone knock on the door yet, hoping for help... which is good, because my Mini isn't going to get them very far... like nowhere, because I'm not even going to make the attempt.

So my plan is to walk down to the creek every day and collect these:


Two quart-sized mason jars full of gravel, which not only acts as additional weight and increases my cardiovascular workout - though I don't really need that kind of help just yet, I huff and puff just fine on my own thankyouverymuch - but I can also pour them under the deck to hopefully keep weeds at bay. So this was my first collection... I can see that I'm going to have to make several more trips...


Therefore, today I went back to the creek. I passed our barn on the way:


Don't be jealous. I know it's the most thing beautiful EVER (except for that bird). And I'm pretty sure it's structurally sound... I also doubt it's haunted.

This is my nemesis. The Hill.


I have to climb back up The Hill to get home and frankly, it's kinda steep. Last hill I saw that was this steep was in Scotland where the nice lady saw Debra and I trudging along with our suitcases and offered us a ride. I remember the driveway wasn't too bad, it seemed like a much more gentle slope because it was curvy and winding. And the next day, after visiting Stirling, we walked up the actual hill because it was a more direct route and found that it was almost vertical. We thought we were going to die. That's how I feel when I come up this hill. I hope zombies lose their breath too, or the zombie apocalypse is just going to have to wait until I can run up this hill.

The things I do for the hubs. He wants gravel. He didn't ask me to take this project on, but procuring free gravel motivates me make this trek. Otherwise I'd find excuses not to go. Excuses like "damn that hill is steep."

So, much as I hate this hill when I have to face it on foot, when it rains, all the water runs down The Hill and away from the house, and that suits me fine. It is because of this symbiotic relationship that I will find it in my heart to make peace with The Hill, and I am determined that in the future, I will be able to walk up The Hill without my lungs burning.

A pop of color in the woods.


The Hubs mentioned that if we found enough good-sized rocks, The Cuz might build us a stone fireplace for the yard. Yep, I am well on my way to having that fireplace, people... well on my way.


So if I grab two mason jars of gravel and four stones a day, and don't die in the attempt... in a few months I might reach my goal and lose some weight to boot.


That's optimism for ya. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!